Ink Slingers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ink Slingers

A hangout for writers.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

I'm new here

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
wannabeone

wannabeone

Accolades : 2

I'm new here Empty
PostSubject: I'm new here   I'm new here EmptyTue Mar 01, 2011 6:10 pm

Hi, hat

My name is Ken. I live in New York City. Currently retired and enjoying by grandchildren in New Jersey and California.

I've been writing for a long time, but have never been published. The closest I have come is a request for a full manuscript. I write both Science Fiction and thrillers. Right now, I am working on a squeal to a thriller I wrote a few years ago. Both stories are about a female archaeologist and her boyfriend, an ex-army intelligence officer; ex-CIA operative; ex-mercenary; and currently the owner of a 'security' firm. My thrillers revolve around archaeological discoveries. My current story takes place at a site in Ephesus, Turkey.
Back to top Go down
InkSlinger
Admin
InkSlinger

Accolades : 10

I'm new here Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm new here   I'm new here EmptyTue Mar 01, 2011 6:16 pm

Hi Ken!
Nice to meet a fellow thriller writer. tank Your novels sound pretty cool - I love a story line with a historical aspect.

If you ever feel like you want to share some of your work, you can post it in the "Reading Room" thread and get some opinions on it.
welcome
Back to top Go down
https://inkslingers.canadian-forum.com
rkollman
Admin
rkollman

Accolades : 11

I'm new here Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm new here   I'm new here EmptyTue Mar 01, 2011 6:55 pm

Greetings, Ken! Your work sounds like a fascinating addition to our growing Ink Slingers community. I look forward to reading your contributions. Throw a query up there and let's see if she flies!

hawk

[Maybe not quite the right smiley, but I couldn't wait any longer to use it--too cool, Inky!]

rkollman
Back to top Go down
https://inkslingers.canadian-forum.com/
EmJay
Bookmark Poster
EmJay

Accolades : 2

I'm new here Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm new here   I'm new here EmptyWed Mar 02, 2011 11:40 am

Hi Ken! welcome
Back to top Go down
alvinmaddengrider

Accolades : 1

I'm new here Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm new here   I'm new here EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 10:31 pm

Hey, Ken.

I'm new here too. I love science fiction and archeology. So do you know much about archeology? They sometimes have some public digs around here on Native American sites and frontier settlement sites. I took my kids when they were young, and they'd let anyone toss shovelful after shovelful of dirt and other matter into the screens to see what you could find.

I like Kurt Vonnegut and Douglas Adams. I guess I like my science fiction with a side of humor.

Anyway, hope you have some luck with that novel. Maybe you can take part of it and submit it as a story somewhere to get some interest. I'd bet it's hard to get someone to read a whole novel, but maybe a short story carved out of it. I read a lot of Faulkner, and that's what he did to get interest, it seems.

Well, good luck.

I know you like thrillers and that kind of stuff, but do the emoticons on here strike you are kind of violent?

Oh well...

Have a good week. I'm looking forward to retirement myself, but it's probably a long way off.

Alvin
Back to top Go down
rkollman
Admin
rkollman

Accolades : 11

I'm new here Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm new here   I'm new here EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 11:09 pm

Welcome, Alvin! We'll see what we can do about more of the less-violent emoticons. Glad to have your input. How's this?

flowers

rkollman
Back to top Go down
https://inkslingers.canadian-forum.com/
alvinmaddengrider

Accolades : 1

I'm new here Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm new here   I'm new here EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 11:19 pm

I was just making an observation about the emoticons. They're fine. Their just seems to be an A-Team kind of theme to some of them.

I am one of those "peace, love and understanding" kind of guys. But I don't oppose violence in emoticons -- just in real life. And I don't think these emoticons will cause any of the writers here to go bonkers and start shooting anyone, so I suppose they are harmless. They are kind of cute actually. Where did you get all these emoticons anyway?

Anyway, this seems an interesting forum.

Alvin
Back to top Go down
InkSlinger
Admin
InkSlinger

Accolades : 10

I'm new here Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm new here   I'm new here EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 9:04 am

As smilies go, these are pretty tame. The military ones were chosen because there are several thriller writers on here and that appeals to them. Other smilies were chosen for their symbolism or irony. For instance, if you've ever written something that you absolutely cannont get published no matter what you do, it can feel like you're beating a dead horse. Or if you've ever gotten "the blue screen of death," then the little dude with the smashed computer is quite funny. If you've ever done a serious manuscript overhaul, then you might have felt like this Edit Manuscript, when you had to cut out bits you really liked.

There are also lots of non-violent smilies here, too. They far outnumber the others. bear

For truly violent smilies, complete with blood-splatter, check this out. http://malware-site.www/smilies/violent/
Back to top Go down
https://inkslingers.canadian-forum.com
Sponsored content

I'm new here Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm new here   I'm new here Empty

Back to top Go down

I'm new here
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Ink Slingers :: Member News :: New member introductions-
Jump to: