HomeCalendarFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

Can I nudge?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Chantal

Accolades : 0

PostSubject: Can I nudge?   Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:05 pm

I sent an agent a query letter a couple of months ago. Can I nudge her or should i assume it's a non-response? NEW
Back to top Go down
rkollman
Admin

Accolades : 11

PostSubject: Re: Can I nudge?   Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:02 pm

Chantal wrote:
I sent an agent a query letter a couple of months ago. Can I nudge her or should i assume it's a non-response? NEW

Hello, Chantal!

An excellent question, one I've been struggling with myself. After some research, here's what I've concluded. First, I look for guidance to the agent's (or agency's) web site, blog or tweets. Obviously, if any of those resources says anything to the effect of, "If you don't hear from us in X weeks asking to see more, assume we're not interested," or if I get an auto-response to an email query that says the same thing, then I don't nudge on a query. No response means no. Nudging only clogs up the agent's already backed-up inbox for no purpose. However, some agents on those resources say to requery if I haven't heard in X weeks. So I do. Note that it's a requery, not a nudge. So I note that I sent an earlier query dated Y, have not yet received a response and pursuant to the instructions on the agent's web site (or whatever) am requerying. I also apologize if my original query is still in the queue. This requerying approach frees me to resend the latest version of my retweaked query (I can't seem to leave them alone.). Of course, you can always just forward the prior email with a similar note, or copy the first snail mail.

For those agents who don't say anything at all on any of the usual resources--nothing about no-response-means-no, nothing about requerying if I haven't heard from them, so far I've decided they're just too busy or too disorganized for me to spend my time and energy on. So I don't nudge. But that's just me. I believe the protocol is not to nudge on queries.

nudge

rkollman

Last edited by rkollman on Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://inkslingers.canadian-forum.com/
Chantal

Accolades : 0

PostSubject: Re: Can I nudge?   Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:31 pm

Yeah, you're probably right. I shouldn't nudge on a query. Thanks, you've given me a lot to think about. thanks
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can I nudge?   

Back to top Go down

Can I nudge?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Ink Slingers :: The Workshop :: Query help-
Jump to: