Ink Slingers

A hangout for writers.
HomeSearchRegisterLog in


 Useful terms

Go down 

Posts : 82
Accolades : 10
Join date : 2011-02-03

Useful terms Empty
PostSubject: Useful terms   Useful terms EmptySat Mar 12, 2011 1:33 pm

I found this on Melissa Ford's website.

Quote :
Publishing Terms

Here are terms you’ll need to know in order to understand the world of publishing.

Advance: the money paid before the book is on the shelves based on a prediction for how much the publisher believes the book has the potential to earn (usually calculated as 1/3 of the royalties for the first print run).

Agency Agreement: a contract between the writer and the agent, outlining the relationship.

Agent: a person who represents the writer, opening doors to publishers and negotiating contacts and the relationship between the publisher and the writer.

Big Six Publishers: six large publishing houses, all found in New York. They are Hachette, Random House, HarperCollins, Macmillan, Penguin, and Simon & Schuster.

Book Doctor: freelance editors who are paid by the writer to help them rework their book before representation.

Copyediting: searching for mechanical errors in the manuscript and stylistic inconsistencies.

Editor: the person at the publishing house who will help you get your manuscript in order contentwise.

Galley: a proof of the final manuscript that the writer can examine before the book goes to print. Galleys are sometimes also sent out to reviewers.

Independent Press: traditionally, a small press (in other words, anyone who is not a subsidiary of the Big Six). There has been a movement in the self-publishing world to rename self-publishing “independent publishing,” but traditionally, independent publishers pay the author and contain all the same protocols as the Big Six publishers.

Proofreading: the final examination of the manuscript for any errors before the printing.

Publisher: the person at the publishing house who is responsible for overseeing the life of the book from acquisition to publicity.

Royalties: the percentage of the book sale that goes to the author.

Self-Publishing: utilizing a “print-on-demand” system, authors can pay to have their book created and sold through online outlets such as Amazon and Barnes and

Small Press: any press that is not one of the Big Six.
Back to top Go down
Bookmark Poster

Posts : 12
Accolades : 2
Join date : 2011-02-07

Useful terms Empty
PostSubject: Re: Useful terms   Useful terms EmptyTue Mar 15, 2011 9:14 am

I never realized that galley in this sense was part of the publishing vernacular as is defined. the things you learn while slinging.
Back to top Go down
Bookmark Poster

Posts : 23
Accolades : 2
Join date : 2011-02-18

Useful terms Empty
PostSubject: Re: Useful terms   Useful terms EmptyWed Mar 16, 2011 9:26 am

Yeah, I didn't know that either. I love learning stuff like that, though. Someday when I sell my book and my agent asks me to look over the galley, I'll be all cool about it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Useful terms Empty
PostSubject: Re: Useful terms   Useful terms Empty

Back to top Go down
Useful terms
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Ink Slingers :: Nuts and Bolts :: Publishing-
Jump to: